Apply for a business license

If you operate a business of any size in the City of Piedmont, you need to get a business license. This includes home-based businesses and contractors.

This is a one-time application. Once you have a license, even if it expires, you don’t need to apply for one again. Instead, you renew it.

If your business is a rental property, you do not need to complete this business license application. Instead you need to file an intent to rent letter and pay an annual rental tax. Learn about renting your property.

Need to know

  • Cost (includes a $4 State Disability Access fee):
    • State licensed contractors
      • 3-month license is $54
      • 12-month license is $104
    • Film is $500 per day, plus $4
    • Auctions are $200 per day, plus $4
    • All other businesses is $104
  • If you don’t get a business license, you may be subject to penalties.

Before you start

If you are running your business out of your home, you need to get a home occupation permit first.

To apply for a business license, you’ll need information about your business including:

  • SIC code
  • A Tax Identification number (BOE number, SEIN, FEIN, or your social security number)
  • Workers Compensation Insurance policy (if applicable)

If your business is subject to the State’s storm water program, you need a National Pollutant Discharge Elimination System permit before you can get a business license.


1. Download and complete the application

2. Submit your application

Submit your form and proof of worker’s compensation insurance (if applicable) to the City Clerk’s office by mail or drop it off in-person.

City Clerk
City of Piedmont
120 Vista Avenue
Piedmont, CA 94611

3. Pay fees

You can pay fees by cash, check, or credit card.

  • If you want to pay by credit card, indicate that on your application. We will email you an invoice.
  • Credit card payments are subject to a processing fee of 2.9% plus a $0.30 charge for each transaction. 

What’s next

After you apply and pay, your business license will be emailed to you. Your license is not valid until you get a confirmation that says it’s issued.

You need to keep your business license current while you are doing work in Piedmont. If you are a home based or a commercial business, you need to keep it current by renewing your license every year.

If you are a contractor or another business that’s not based in Piedmont, you need your license to be current while you are doing business in Piedmont. If you let it expire, but do business again in Piedmont, you can renew at that time.

Get help