Residential renovation or addition building permit

The residential renovation or addition permit type is a catch-all permit type. This type should be used for anything from a small bathroom or kitchen remodel to a full house renovation or addition.

If your project is very limited in scope and just involves window replacement, or is only upgrading electrical, or adding lights to a space, please use those respective permit types.

If your project involves multiple disciplines or multiple permit types you can combine them in this residential renovation or addition permit type. Alternatively, if your project will be completed by different contractors, you can choose to separate the scope out to the different types, such as just windows, or just electrical upgrades.

If any exterior modifications are being proposed including exterior windows and doors, or a full bathroom being added to the dwelling, planning design review may be required first.

Apply on eTRAKiT


  • Addition or exterior modification
  • Interior only
  • Termite or water damage repair

Requirements and attachments

When you apply online, you can upload documents with your application. Make sure to upload all of the required documents. If your application is not complete, this will extend the time it takes to issue your permit.

Bathroom, kitchen, interior remodels

For smaller scope projects, typical required submittal documents include:

  • Title page with project address, contacts, scope, date and blank area for AHJ notes (Example: 11x17 | Example: 24x36)
  • Overall Site Plan to show location of work
  • Existing and Proposed Floor Plans
  • Electrical Plans of remodeled area
  • Photos can be in lieu of existing floor plans for very minor projects
  • If opening or moving walls provide framing information, structural drawings and calculations.
  • Contractor or Owner-Builder Declarations (required for all projects)
  • Projects Over $50k require Construction & Demolition Debris Recycling Statement (DRS)

Learn about required documents for all permits.

Apply on eTRAKiT


Get help