Accessory dwelling unit building permit

An Accessory Dwelling Unit (ADU) is a great way to add affordable housing to our community.

They come in many shapes and forms and can be as simple as converting an existing habitable room or garage to a junior accessory dwelling unit (JADU). They can be attached to a house as a converted crawlspace or a newly constructed addition.

ADUs can be newly constructed detached buildings or pre manufactured off-site and placed on a site-built foundation. All detached new construction must meet wildland urban interface (WUI) standards and must be all electric. They cannot have gas lines extended to the unit.

Accessory dwelling units require planning approval before you can get a building permit. Learn about accessory dwelling unit planning permits.

Apply for a permit on eTRAKiT


  • ADU attached
  • JADU
  • ADU detached
  • Modification

Requirements and attachments

When you apply online, you can upload documents with your application. Make sure to upload all of the required documents. If your application is not complete, this will extend the time it takes to issue your permit.

  • Title page with project address, contacts, scope, date and blank area for reviewer notes (Example 11x17 | Example 24x36)
  • Overall Site Plan / Floor plan to show location of work
  • Existing and Proposed Floor Plans
  • Existing and Proposed Elevations
  • Sections, details, notes required to describe the scope of work
  • Electrical Plans
  • Structural drawings and calculations
  • Geotechnical report, if required
  • Survey, if required
  • Title 24 Residential Energy Compliance Forms if adding habitable space or Mechanical equipment
  • Construction Management Plan (Guidelines | Example)
  • Landscape Plan, if required
  • WELO, if required
  • C.3 Stormwater, if required
  • WUI Details
  • Contractor or Owner-Builder Declarations (required for all projects)
  • Projects over $50k require Construction & Demolition Debris Recycling Statement (DRS)

Learn about required documents for all building permits.

Apply for a building permit on eTRAKiT

Get help